Smoke Free News for June 2014
In this issue:
- Share walls, not smoke!
- Enter Our Contest and Win!
- New Laws Passed in MN for Smoke-Free Foster Care and to Regulate Electronic Cigarettes
- Two HRA’s Going Smoke-Free on July 1
- Smoke-Free Housing Workshops Held in Owatonna and Cannon Falls
Share walls, not smoke!
Have you seen one of our ads in your area? We recently launched a four-month outdoor advertising campaign. We are using signs on transit buses and a billboard to increase awareness that secondhand smoke is still a problem for people who live in multi-unit buildings like apartments and townhomes.
Our state law permits smoking in individual living units in multi-unit buildings. Tobacco smoke can travel through cracks and gaps in walls and ceilings into neighboring apartments. We are working with landlords in our area to help them adopt smoke-free policies for their buildings.
Enter Our Contest
Like Facebook? Like winning prizes? Enter our contest and you could win a $50 gift certificate to the local restaurant of your choice. There will be three more prizes: $40, $30 and $20. Win our contest and enjoy a delicious meal at your favorite local restaurant.
Please! Only one contest entry per person per day. Good luck!
Get full contest details: click here
New Laws Passed in MN for Smoke-Free Foster Care
and to Regulate
|Four Corners Partnership coalition members meet with Rep. Tim Kelly in the rotunda of the Capitol.|
The legislative session had a lot of ups and downs for the tobacco prevention world this year. This “unsession” led to some significant improvements in protecting Minnesotans from the harms of tobacco and nicotine addiction.
Fortunately, a new law has been passed that adds a smoke-free environment to the list of requirements for foster homes. This will help to ensure the children have a safe and healthy environment; one that will be free from the dangers of secondhand smoke.
The Four Corners Partnership believes these wins will reduce the harm that tobacco and nicotine are causing us on a state wide level. We will continue to work at the local level to reduce the use of electronic cigarettes, help implement smoke free foster care, and reduce tobacco’s harm.
Two HRA’s Going Smoke-Free on July 1
Two local Housing and Redevelopment Authorities (HRA’s) will be implementing 100% smoke-free policies in all of their apartments and townhomes on July 1, 2014. Currently, residents are permitted to smoke inside their apartments. Tobacco smoke can move throughout the building. After July 1, the residents, guests and staff in these buildings will no longer be exposed to secondhand smoke.
Smoke-Free Housing Workshops Held in Owatonna and Cannon Falls
|Cannon Falls smoke-free housing workshop.|
We continued our series of smoke-free housing workshops. The workshops are in a “Lunch and Learn” format and take place over the noon hour. While these are primarily intended for property managers and owners, anyone with an interest in learning more about smoke-free housing policies is welcome to attend.
Smoke-Free News Archives
Read recent editions of the Smoke Free News
January 2014 - read newsletter
- Four Corners Partnership Commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the 1st Surgeon General’s Report on Smoking and Health
- Crossroads Townhomes in Dodge Center Ring in the New Year Smoke-Free
- Smoke-Free Housing Workshop in Mantorville
Southside Apartments in Lonsdale are Smoke-Free
- Meet Sagar Chowdhury:New Four Corners Coordinator for Dodge County
- Four Corners Partnership Hosts Smoke-Free Housing Workshops
- Gateway Apartments Celebrate New Smoke-Free Policy
- Something to Celebrate in Kasson
- Survey Says: Strengthen Protection for Youth
- Meet Andrea Kronbach
- Living with Secondhand Smoke - A Mother's Story
- Meet Gina Johnson
- Four Corners Partnership Now Has Two Sources of Funding
- Meet Amy Roggenbuck
- Growing Momentum at State Capitol for Tobacco Tax Increase
- Two “Little Cigar” Bills Introduced in State Senate
- Day at the Capitol - April 18 Your Voice Matters!
- Dodge County Rental Properties to be 100% Smoke-Free
- Smoke-Free Housing Lunch and Learn for Property Managers and Landlords
- Four Corners Partnership Awarded New Grant from MDH
- Steele County Adopts Smoke-Free Foster Care Policy
- New Minnesota Legislature May Create Opportunity to Raise it for Health
- Tobacco is Still a Big Problem in Minnesota
- Working with Cities and Counties to Update and Strengthen Local Tobacco Licensing Laws
- Owatonna Retailers Support Keeping Youth Tobacco-Free and Helping Smokers to Quit
- Four Corners Partnership Infographic Wins National Contest
- Smoke-Free Laws Save Lives
- Smoke-Free Foster Care: The Duty to Protect